NTTC’s Cargo Tank Test & Inspection Workshops offer in-person and virtual workshops. In-person and virtual workshops are led by FMCSA instructors or by industry and hazmat specialist Art Fleener. Regardless of which format you choose, all workshops are designed to help cargo tank repair technicians, testers, and inspectors comply with current regulations – whether as a bulk carrier or as a commercial repair facility. Register today!








Each workshop focuses on compliance with USDOT’s cargo tank qualification and maintenance regulations found in 49 CFR Parts 107 and 180. Topics to be covered in the workshop include:

  • Overview of 49 CFR Part 180
  • Special test/inspection conditions
  • External visual inspections
  • Internal visual inspections
  • Pressure tests
  • Leakage tests
  • Thickness test
  • Lining inspections
  • DOT Interpretations
  • Compliance dates/tank markings
  • Record keeping requirements
  • Cargo tank repair and retrofitting
  • Compliance and enforcement issues
  • Registration procedures for test/inspection facilities
  • History/Background of 49 CFR Parts 107 & 180 (HM-183 and HM-213)
  • Qualifications of Registered Inspectors, Design Certifying Engineers & Authorized Inspectors

Virtual workshops feature synchronous learning via GoToMeeting, a web-based platform that will allow attendees to interact with our instructor live. Workbooks and completion certificates will be mailed to attendees at the shipping address given during registration. The course will be held over 3 days for 5 hours a day with a lunch break for a total of 15 hours. Attendance will be taken each day, and all participants must have access to a computer with a working webcam and audio.



Registration is limited. Cost per attendee is $600 for NTTC members and $700 for NTTC non-members. To register, please click the dates above and sign in to your NTTC account. If you have any questions, please email us at [email protected].



How do I become a registered inspector?
To become a registered inspector (RI) you must meet one of the qualifications as outlined in the USDOT regulations for a RI found in 49 CFR 171.8 as shown below. There are no shortcuts to becoming a RI. Simply taking a class or training does not automatically make you a RI.

Registered Inspector means a person registered with the Department in accordance with subpart F of part 107 of this chapter who has the knowledge and ability to determine whether a cargo tank conforms to the applicable DOT specification. A Registered Inspector meets the knowledge and ability requirements of this section by meeting any one of the following requirements:

(1) Has an engineering degree and one year of work experience relating to the testing and inspection of cargo tanks;

(2) Has an associate degree in engineering and two years of work experience relating to the testing and inspection of cargo tanks;

(3) Has a high school diploma (or General Equivalency Diploma) and three years of work experience relating to the testing and inspection of cargo tanks; or

(4) Has at least three years' experience performing the duties of a Registered Inspector prior to September 1, 1991.

Why should I attend this workshop?
As a hazardous materials employee, a registered inspector is required by 49 CFR 172.704 to at least once every 3 years have hazardous materials training. While these 2 day classes will not in themselves make you a RI, they will certainly make you a better registered inspector. 
What better way to help make sure you are testing and inspecting cargo tanks correctly then to attend a class taught by current and retired FMCSA, USDOT hazardous materials investigators.

What other training do registered inspectors need?
The USDOT requires specific categories of training that all hazardous materials employees are required to have, including RI’s. While these classes are great and without a doubt are very beneficial, it is not possible in this setting to provide all the “function specific” training to each student.

You may need additional training to cover all your requirements for function specific; and depending on your operation, if you need in-depth security training.

How do I obtain a CT number?
The USDOT, FMSCA office administers the CT number program. There are a couple of ways to update, renew or get a new CT number. The easiest way is to simply go to this link. Complete the form and upload it to the location as shown on the webpage.