View All

What kinds of tank truck carriers join NTTC?

Posted on April 10 2012 by NTTC

Today, over 200 tank truck companies  call themselves proud members of the NTTC. That equates to more than 80% of the volume hauled in this narrowly defined industry. The majority of NTTC...

Do intrastate tank truck carriers have to get a DOT number from FMCSA?

Posted on April 4 2012 by NTTC

They are not required to obtain a DOT number by federal regulation, but they may be required to do so under state law if the state has adopted the federal regulations as its own.  You can find...

If I want to hire a new driver, do any of the CSA violations he had at a previous carrier become part of my record?

Posted on April 4 2012 by NTTC

No. Those violations will remain with the carrier for whom the driver was working when the violations occurred. 

Is the shipper required to provide placards for a transportation of a hazardous material?

Posted on April 4 2012 by NTTC

Yes. 49CFR172.506 states that the person offering a hazardous material for transportation by highway shall provide the placards. However, it is a violation for the motor carrier to transport the ...

I see the terms PHMSA and FMCSA and know they are both part of the Department of Transportation. What is the difference?

Posted on April 4 2012 by NTTC

The Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration (PHMSA) develops the hazardous materials regulations for the various transportation modes. The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administratio...

If a Part 180 inspection becomes due while a trailer is on the road making a delivery, can the trailer legally deliver the load?

Posted on April 4 2012 by NTTC

Yes.  Part 180.407(1) states that a cargo tank that is due an inspection cannot be loaded after the date the inspection comes due.  You can complete that load and then must have the inspe...

Are there any DOT regulations that cover food transportation in tank trailers?

Posted on April 4 2012 by NTTC

No. The Food and Drug Administration is developing regulations to govern food transportation in tank trucks, but there are no current regulations there or at the Department of Transportation.

What is meant by term “specification tank”? Are all tank trucks specification tanks?

Posted on April 4 2012 by NTTC

The Department of Transportation designates design and construction requirements for cargo tanks used to haul hazardous materials in 49CFR Sec 178.345.  These are minimum requirements.  T...

Does a driver need a tank truck endorsement if he only drivers dry bulk trailers?

Posted on April 4 2012 by NTTC

No. The regulations for the tank truck endorsement apply to liquid loads only.

When to I have to update my CT number?

Posted on April 4 2012 by NTTC

If no changes take place, you would have to update the CT registration every six years. However, if changes in the name of the person who signed the form take place, the form must be updated. Also,...

I have six tank truck terminals. Can I develop one security plan for all of these facilities or does each have to be specific to the loc...

Posted on April 4 2012 by NTTC

No:  A specific plan is required for each location.  You should only include in your security plan the security practices and equipment you have at that location.

Are there OSHA regulations that cover a driver going on top of a tank trailer?

Posted on April 4 2012 by NTTC

No.  The authority to develop such regulations lies within the Department of Transportation.  However, OSHA would cover workers going on top of a tank that is not “in transportation...

I have an old MC306 trailer that I no longer plan to use in gasoline service, but will use to deliver home heating oil. Do I have to kee...

Posted on April 4 2012 by NTTC

If you no longer plan to use the trailer for products requiring a specification trailer, you may remove the specification plate or block it out so it’s no longer visible. Be sure to make a no...

My drivers haul Intermediate 200 gallon Bulk Containers in my van trailers. Is it true that they have to get a tank vehicle endorsement ...

Posted on April 4 2012 by NTTC

As of June 2011, the driver of a vehicle with a combination of 1,000 or more gallons in of product in bulk packages (119 gallons) must have a tank vehicle endorsement on their CDL.  Thus, if y...

I want to haul a load of diesel fuel to Canada. Can I use a non-specification trailer like I do in the United States?

Posted on April 4 2012 by NTTC

No. While the Hazardous Materials Table at 49CFR 102.101 does authorize non-specification trailers to haul fuel oil, Canada requires that a specification trailer be used. The D in Column 1 before ...

Government Comments

View All


Posted on December 1 2012

Your staff recently received an increased number of questions about transportation of IM and UN tank containers. We understand that some of this increased activity is in response to tank container ...

Help ATRI Quantify Impact of 34 Hour Restart Provisions

Posted on August 23 2012

Many tank truck carriers have expressed concerns about the impact of 34-hour restart provisions of the Hours of Service rules set to go into effect next July. The American Transportation Research I...


Posted on August 23 2012

NTTC called on the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) to support our petition to PHMSA to require all applicants for a Hazardous Materials registration number to also supply a USDO...

Speaker Presentations

View All

Tank Truck Safety & Security Council President's Report

Posted on June 25 2014

Click here for presentation


View All

NTTC Times Oct 2013

Posted on October 18 2013

NTT Times July 2013

Posted on August 5 2013

We are pleased to debut the first issue of National Tank Truck Times.  This represents a  new look and a new delivery vehicle for us to communicate with you.  We welcome yo...

March 2013 Newsletter

Posted on April 1 2013